Saturday, March 5, 2016

"I didn't even know a genre existed for climate change novels -- and had not heard of "cli-fi" until after I finished writing my own.''

A blogger named  ''MaryLynn'' said in 2014:


''I think that cli-fi is an appropriate label, and I seriously doubt that authors will probably say one day, "Oh, I'm going to write a cli-fi novel because it's so marketable right now." No, that's not the case.

''It's more like -- as happened with me and several authors I've interviewed for my website -- we are interested in writing a novel that reflects a relatively new understanding in our world, or a book that is built upon reaction to anthropogenic climate change, which is something not specifically dealt with in the same way in the further past by sci-fi authors.''

"I didn't even know a genre existed for climate change novels -- and had not heard of "cli-fi" until after I finished writing my own.''

''But that aside, we're always going to be driven to dig down with taxonomies -- that has never changed, nor will it.''

-----------------------------------------------------------

Her friend then added in a comment, also in 2014:

''Humans have a compulsion to categorize, and "cli-fi" is a convenient way to refer to a set of works with climate change at center stage. It neither adds nor detract from the works; it's just a label for a shelf that might attract a reader. If the label causes a browser to stop and pick up a book, it's useful.''

No comments: