Friday, October 30, 2015

A Canadian's take on the themes of Canadian regional literature (glib humour)

FIND CANADA ON THE MAP


A blogger somewhere in the Milky Way Galaxy writes with glib humour:

Western Canadian Literature: “The prairie is cold and empty, like my marriage.”
Eastern Canadian Literature: “The sea is cold and empty, like my marriage.”

Cultural differences.

Then this blogger above adds: ''A few folks have commented that the preceding post is overly reductive, and I have to admit that I was perhaps a bit glib. Here’s an attempt at a more accurate summary, then.''

British Columbia Literature: The mountains are cold and empty, like - holy shit, a bear!”
Alberta Literature: “The prairie is cold and empty, like my attempts to reconnect with my heritage.”
Saskatchewan Literature: “The prairie is cold and empty, like my marriage.”
Manitoba Literature: “The prairie is cold and empty, like my relationship with my father.”
Ontario Literature:The hills are cold and empty, like my faith in humanity.”
Quebec Literature: “The River is cold and empty, like my faith in God.”
Newfoundland Literature: “The sea is cold and empty, like my marriage.”
Nova Scotia Literature: “The sea is cold and empty, like my relationship with my son.”
Nunavut Literature:The tundra is cold and empty, like the legacy of white colonialism.”

AND THEN ADDS: ''I think that about covers it.''

======================================

UPDATE / POSTSCRIPT:

A Canadian friend of this blog writes in to say, after I as a Yankee asked, are these jokes funny and do they reflect Canadian humour. My friend said:

''Moderately funny. Canadians always make fun of Canadian literature, but they make fun of everything. '' SEE link below:

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2015/10/23/how-irony-killed-stephen-harper.html

No comments: